Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Thoughts: September 28th, 2008

“Self is the opaque veil that hides the face of the Father from us.” A.W. Tozer

“He must become greater; I must become less”


“More of You less of me, more of You less of me, more of You, less of me...” This has been my mantra for the past couple years. When I look at old pictures from my childhood, sometime I barely recognize myself. It is almost as if I’m looking at a stranger! How is it possible that I became the person I am? Why have I been so blessed to have an opportunity to serve in China? It doesn’t seem logical! There must have been a better choice! As Gladys Aylward put it:

"I wasn't His first choice for what I've done for China…I don't know who it was…It must have been a man…a well-educated man. I don't know what happened. Perhaps he died. Perhaps he wasn't willing…and He looked down…and saw Gladys Aylward…And He said - "Well, she's willing."

I am so grateful for the “new creation” in my life! It’s not that I had a rough childhood, but I can see that the more I was focused on myself, the less I understood the Father. Five years from now I hope that I can look back on the person I am today and think I’m looking at a stranger.

Why we are grateful this week:

1)
We are currently celebrating the Chinese National Holiday. It’s a week long holiday, and there are no classes. We have been invited to go for a hot air balloon ride with other foreign teachers this Thursday, and we’ll be in Beijing next Saturday.

2) The college had it's annual campus-wide Sports Day this weekend. We participated in the 100 meter run again this year, and again I was in the back of the pack. We also threw the shot put! Jess Shamblee finished second in her 100 meter heat, and third in shot put.

3) The student-led English Club on Monday went well! There were about 300-400 freshmen and sophomores at the club! The novelty of foreigners always draws a crowd early in the year.

4) The dates for all of our English Clubs are finally set! The first club will be Tuesday October 7th on the main campus.

5) Jess had a scare earlier this week; she thought she broke her toe when she dropped a metal water bottle filled with water on it. Luckily, it just appears to be badly bruised. She is still limping a little, but the swelling has gone down.

6) Otherwise, we are all completely healthy!

Please continue to “think” about us:

1)
Please remember Tony & Lily. Lily is due in about 2 weeks.

2) My mother had to spend some time in the ER this week. She collapsed with vertigo at lunch with my sister. She is fine now, but please remember her.

3) Peter’s twin brother, Connor, is a Marine Officer and left for Iraq this weekend.

4) We have learned of many native “family members” that work on our campus. Please remember them.

5) Please also remember the teams of teachers in Baoding and Tianjin!

Going the second mile and loving it,
Brad