Sunday, December 21, 2008

December 21, 2008: Look at the Stars

“Leave your country, your people, and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all people on earth will be blessed through you.” -Gen. 12:1-3

Dear Friends and Family,

It is amazing to study the Word and see how the lives of the patriarchs instruct us how to live our lives today. Abram was asked to “Leave…and Go,” even though he did not know where he was going. All he knew was that he had great reward waiting for him…a nation, a name, a blessing for him and for all people. When Brad and I decided during the fall of 2006 that we would leave our jobs as teachers in obedience to the call the Father placed on Brad’s heart, we did not know where He was taking us. We only knew that great blessings come to those who obey when they are led.

Four months later we agreed to come to China, to the land He showed us. Maybe our name isn’t great, but to 500 or so Chinese college students, we are pretty great teachers and to a few we are great friends. In the last 16 months we have done our best to bless our students and friends. Maybe ALL people haven’t been blessed through us, but we do know that our time in China has broadened our circle of influence to include this nation (and specifically this college) we once knew so little about. We have been blessed beyond measure, and we hope that in every way possible, we have been a blessing to those around us in China and at home. “Leave…and Go”--a simple command and a simple promise. It’s so rewarding to live in the will of the Father!

What follows is a weekly summary of our past month. Thank you for your part in supporting our work and life here in China!

November 29-December 6

On Saturday we celebrated Thanksgiving with Team IECS here in Langfang! After an afternoon of flag football, we had a huge Thanksgiving dinner! 15 people ate as much as they could of their favorite American dishes, followed by discussing the things we are thankful for. On Sunday we had a morning service together (rarely this large!) and after lunch together we wished our friends goodbye. In the afternoon we watched ELF together. During the week we put on the finale of “Bubble Boy” at English Club and I gave a speech on the topic of “Love” based on the Four Loves by C. S. Lewis. Much of the week was filled with planning for exams as we neared the semester’s end. Shannon, Shamblee, and I began a new Beth Moore Book Study and we’ve been enjoying that together. On Thursday Danielle and I had lunch together, and on Saturday, Cassie and I watched “Runaway Bride” together. Danielle surprised me by telling me, “I know you have a secret, and I want you to know that I haven’t told anyone. I know that you are going to be a mother.” I laughed and asked how she found out, and she said that she’d found our blog from an e-mail. Suffice to say we swore her to secrecy, but she loves being in on our little secret.

December 7-14

On Monday the girls met with Carol and Sunshine for our weekly Book review, and had a great time working our way through the TMS and learning about our friend John. Tuesday was the English Association Talent Show, for which Shamblee was a judge (a.k.a. Simon Cowell). The 10 finalists were fantastic, performing American songs, dances, plays, and political debates. I kept busy this week grading 100 undergraduate resumes for my Business English students. We also spent the week decorating for Christmas, Christmas shopping, baking Christmas cookies, and of course Brad and I went into Beijing to get a glimpse of our 2 ½ inch bundle of joy. Friday was the second season finale of “Bubble Boy,” and I gave my “Love” speech again. Danielle and Pan came along for the ride to the western campus and had a great time with us. I also had 7 articles of my clothing mended by local seamstress for a whopping 18 yuan (about $2.50). I was delighted when Brad decided to rearrange our living room, and I got an “art desk” out of the move. It’s made it a lot easier to find my supplies to create notes, cards, Christmas countdowns, and drawings. He also surprised me by mopping the bathroom ceiling…in the ongoing battle against the mildew in our bathroom.

December 14-20

As I entered Week 12 of pregnancy, I was delighted to see my energy and appetite return in spades. I went from feeling nauseous at the thought or scent of food, to eating twice as much as I usually eat. My energy returned just in time, as I taught 22 hours of class/finals last week and 26 hours of class/finals this week in order to have the week of Christmas free from obligations. With the additional energy I also swept and mopped for the first time in a month (gross, I know) and cleaned everything that needed cleaning. I was able to cook again, wash dishes more often, and get through classes without excessive nausea. What a blessing and a relief! Thank heaven for the second trimester! Danielle and Cassie took the CET-4 (standardized test) this week, but Cassie was able to get away long enough to bring her friend Felicia with us to visit the Philip Hayden Foundation orphanage together. On Saturday night Brad hurried us all outside to a wonderful surprise—SNOW! We ran, slid, danced, wrote, and threw snowballs at one another and then joined the kids for fun in our winter wonderland. In the morning we awoke to about and inch of accumulation, a perfect Christmas gift from our Father.

December 21-27

This upcoming week promises to be a good one! Tonight we will dine with the faculty at 6pm to celebrate Christmas, and tomorrow Brad and I will go to Beijing for two days to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. It’s hard to believe we’ve been married three years already! Brad hopes to take in the Forbidden City, Houhai district, and the Laoshi Tea House among other things. On Wednesday we’ll be back in time for some last minute Christmas shopping and then we’ll head to the students’ Christmas Eve Party where we will be singing some songs for the kids. On Thursday we’ll head to Baoding for Christmas dinner, and then on Friday morning we’ll have Christmas breakfast and exchange our Secret Santa gifts. On Saturday night we’ll return home to Langfang again.

“He took him outside and said, “Look at the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” Abram believed Him, and He credited it to him as righteousness.”

Father, wherever you lead us, whatever we leave behind, wherever we go…may we follow you obediently, believing that you will do what you have promised to do. Thank you for blessing us so that we can bless others. Thank you for daily calling us to follow you.

Always,
Jessie