Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday Thoughts: March 1st, 2009

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Father determines his steps.

“Altar” your plans, and trust the Father to alter them.

I had a plan! It was Friday night, and I had just finished teaching my afternoon classes. Jessie, Peter, Shannon, and Shamblee were planning to meet me on the other campus for our English Club. I prepared the classroom for what would eventually be an awesome club. I had 45 minutes to kill before the others would arrive, so I planned to entertain my students by playing my guitar. I had a plan!

Our students love music, and they love singing. So I started by taking out my guitar. Immediately, 100 cell phone cameras where pointed at me, and I had not even played one chord! I planned to play some “Jars of Clay” and “Caedmon's Call” songs. I planned to play “Brown Eyed Girl” & “What if What They Say is True.” It was a good plan!

By the end of the first song I figured that everybody would have been done taking pictures, but that was when I realized that they were using the video option on their phones. As I started another song, some of the students were getting braver. They started sneaking up beside me as one of their friends took a picture. Needless to say, this was distracting, and it was ruining my plan!

I continued with a third song and tried my best to ignore the commotion. Most of the students had stopped taking pictures and video. I suppose either their memory cards were full, or they decided I just was not worthy of recording. Either option would have been plausible. That is when I felt a tapping on my right shoulder. Why would somebody be tapping me on the shoulder when I was in the middle of a song? This could not be ignored. I stopped in the middle of the song to find a young man looking up at me, and then he asked, “Can I take a picture with you?” I was bewildered; I was indignant. “Brown Eyed Girl” is an American classic! But they were not nearly as interested in my singing as they were in taking pictures.

After the shock wore off, I realized the pride and absurdity of my plan. My plan was altered. I started posing for pictures; just me, a student, and my guitar. What my students really wanted was for me to just stop playing a song that they probably did not know, put my arm over they shoulders, hold the guitar, and smile while their friends took pictures. This continued for another fifteen minutes as student after student came forward. I had prepared to fill about 45 minutes with singing, but posing for pictures with an American and his guitar turned out to be far more interesting. My plans had been altered!

Then I remembered, “A man plans his course, but the Father determines his steps.” I had my plan, but I never took it before the Father. I never “altared” it! So once again, I was forced to learn a lesson that just never seems to sink in: Altar your plans, and trust the Father to alter them.

Why have we been grateful during the past week:

1.
We had two English Clubs this past week, and both were amazing! On Monday night we had our first club of the semester on the main campus, and on Friday we had club on the western campus. We have been focusing on what it means to love with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. Peter spoke eloquently and used Shel Silverstein's, The Giving Tree for his illustration of an obedient love. We also introduced a new run-on starring Shannon and Jess Shamblee.

2.The best part of our English club on Friday was that we got to share it with two friends from the main campus, Lydia & Danielle. They came along for the ride and helped by taking pictures and video. It was fun to share the evening with them and talking while we rode to and from the other campus.

3.This week was filled with lunches & dinners with students! On Tuesday, Jessie baked cookies with Danielle, and ate dinner with Cassie. On Thursday, Tony visited and we all ate dinner together. On Saturday, I had lunch with Pan, Peter visited our neighbors, and Shamblee invited some of her students over to teach her how to make dumplings.

Please continue to “think” about us:

1.
We are still going though the application process for working in the United States next year. Again, we will most likely be placed somewhere on the East Coast, but the location is not as important to us as our desire to follow the Father's call. We are hoping to know more specifics in the weeks to come.

2.The latest news about my Grandfather is that he has been released from the hospital, and my mother is staying with him in Iowa. He lost 20 pounds in fluid weight, but at least he's home and on the proper medication. They are currently trying to decide if it would be better for my Grandfather to move in with my parents, but this could be a long process that might not be feasible until this summer.

3.This Tuesday night we will be inviting some students over to watch The Prince of Egypt.

4.Please continue to remember Jessie, and our little girl. Both are doing great! Other than some aches and some weariness, there has been nothing but good news concerning our pregnancy. This week I was able to feel the baby kick for the first time! You can see a video of the baby's heartbeat on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5BJfYc-w4&feature=channel_page

Living outside the boat,
Brad