Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Thoughts: October 26th 2008

It amazes me how consistent our Father is:

Before we were created, “He is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

When He walked the earth, “He is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

When my Great Grandfather was working as a doctor in China, “He is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

When my friends first introduced Him to me, “He is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

Now that I am working in China, “He is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

My entire world had to change for me to realize that He is the only true constant. Whether I’m in China or America, speaking Chinese or English, walking or driving, eating rice or pizza, He is still the same.

Why we are grateful this week:

1)
Peter and I have completely recovered from the Beijing Marathon and I have already started running again in preparation for another race.

2) Last Friday afternoon was filled with fun. Jess Shamblee went to lunch with the same 9 girl that she taught to make pancakes. Peter and I ate lunch and studied with a couple students, and Jessie Distad prepared for her education lecture. Around 2:30pm, I went with Jessie to her lecture to help with the question & answer section and run the power point for her. About 50 English teachers were in attendance. It reminded me of a WCBOE In-Service Day, but the Chinese administrators and teachers loved it.

3) Our trip to the Philip Hayden Foundation went well. Jess Shamblee, Jessie Distad, and I took three students and spent about 2 hours with the children. We have already scheduled a second visit on November 22nd.

4) Saturday night we went to the Student Union’s annual Halloween Ball. We judged dancing, costumes, and jack o’lanterns. We danced with the students and posed for pictures like celebrities. Peter & Shannon preformed “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and I performed “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” because they love John Denver!

Please continue to “think” about us:

1)
The leaves are starting to fall off the trees and the temperature outside made it down to 34 degrees Fahrenheit last night. The heat in our apartments and classrooms will not be turned on until mid November. Shannon and Jessie have been ill this past week, Shannon with a sinus infection and Jess with a bad cold, but they appear to be recovering.

2) This Monday night, we have been invited to another student led English Club. The students are a bit worried because their club is being evaluated by the college administrators that night.

3) I will be spending at least a couple Friday afternoons each month learning how to play Chinese Chess. The Assistant Dean of the English department has volunteered to be my tutor. It’s different then Western Chess, and I’m excited to learn, but most of all I’m happy that I’ll have more time to spend with our administrators.

4) Our administrators have also asked me to tutor a graduate student in math. He’ll be going to Canada for his post-graduate degree, but he needs to improve his math scores first. They assure me that his biggest weakness is understanding the English math vocabulary. I’m a little worried because I’ve never taught above Calculus, but they tell me that there are no other English teachers in our city that know upper level math.

5) Next Monday we will have our second IECS English Club on the Main Campus.

He has come that we may have Life, and have it to the full,
Brad

PS: Feel free to click on anything in blue to learn more about us!