Sunday, January 18, 2009

January 18, 2009: Surpassing Greatness

“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of the Son. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing the Son, my Master, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain the Son…” Phil 3:7-8

Dear Friends,

This month is full of change: a new year, a new president, new adventures, and new life. It could be easy to look back on the past and see our gains and losses through the eyes of the world. Our world measures success by money, possessions, careers, awards, fame, and appearances. Yet, Paul says that he considers whatever was to his profit to be a loss for the sake of the Son…all things, in fact, aside from knowing the Son. In 2009 I hope I can encourage all of you to follow Paul in seeing all worldly gain as rubbish, and instead, above all things, seek to gain the Son and the surpassing greatness of knowing Him personally.

Our last quiet week in Langfang has passed by quickly, as Brad and I tied up many loose ends in preparation for our next month of traveling. (As many of you know, in China the schools have almost two months off from classes to celebrate the Spring Festival and Chinese New Year holiday. Brad and I have no classes between December 19 and February 16.) On Monday we worked around the apartment, discussing our plans for next year, and sorting and storing the last of the Christmas decorations. On Tuesday the ladies finally met again for our Ladies’ Lunch, and got caught up on our Beth Moore Book Study. In the evening, we had our last Book Study with Carol and Sunshine before they went home for the holiday. I had more fun grocery shopping and trying vegetarian meals for Brad. On Wednesday my parents called and we talked at length, and then Brad and I went over to Shamblee’s apartment to watch the Steelers vs. Chargers game. In the evening we were back over at Shamblee’s again, eating baked potatoes and watching a new Brian Regan comedy act she’d just downloaded.

Thursday and Friday were busy days. On Thursday morning I had a Skype date with my sister Karilyn. During our conversation, the Corder family (Lee, Paula, Laura, and Courtney) arrived in Langfang and then we all went to lunch together (joined by Forrest Gump, Lindy, Victory, Sarah, Allie, and Allen). We spent the afternoon at the Philip Hayden Foundation orphanage where Leah helped us to learn the names of the children, and answered our many questions about the orphanage. After dropping the Corders off at the train station, Brad and I headed back to the apartment to work on grades for a few hours. In the evening, Sunshine, Carol, and Carol’s roommate prepared a Chinese feast for the five foreign teachers. Afterwards we sat around and shared “moving” stories from our lives. On Friday morning, we all met with Wayne to pick up our schedules. I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing my grades (with Brad’s help) and e-mailing them to Wayne. Shannon and Shamblee even brought me back a snack from McDonald’s for my labors. Shamblee and I relaxed by giving ourselves pedicures, and then Brad and I topped the evening off by watching the final episode of “Friends.”

Saturday and Sunday have passed by rather peacefully. I finished “A Severe Mercy” by Sheldon Vanauken on Saturday morning, cleaned the apartment, grocery shopped, prepared Sunday’s message, did yoga, and experimented with foods in our kitchen. The one frustrating thing that happened was that our washing machine emptied an entire load of cold water into our apartment, sufficiently flooding all four rooms. I was home alone, and spent over an hour mopping up the mess (with half of mop), hanging the rugs, and rescuing books, sheets, and trash baskets. My back aching from being stooped for so long, I was only too glad to let Brad finish the job when he got home, allowing me to put up my cold wrinkled feet for a few minutes. Sunday has been quiet as we prepare for tomorrow’s departure with plans, packing, and eating all the food in our refrigerator.

The next four weeks should be quite an adventure! Brad and I are very excited to be going to many places in China that we have never visited. From January 20-26, we will be in the city of Shenzhen in southern China for our annual IECS Staff Conference. Shenzhen is at the same latitude as Havana, Cuba, so we are hoping for warm weather! Our hotel has ocean views of the South China Sea. Shenzhen is also on the mainland directly across from the island of Hong Kong, so we are hoping to visit Hong Kong on January 26 before our departure. We hope to spend the next few days (January 27-29) on the tropical island of Hainan, located at the same latitude as Jamaica and Hawaii. We are hoping to enjoy some warm sunshine under the coconut palms, before taking the 32 hour sleeper train north from Hainan to Beijing. 2 days later, Brad’s parents will arrive in Beijing for a two week visit. During their first week we will visit Langfang and Beijing, and during their second week (February 9-13) we will fly south again to the beautiful city of Guilin. Guilin is located at the same latitude as Miami, Florida, and its winding rivers and sloping mountains look like a beautiful Chinese landscape painting. We will say goodbye to Brad’s parents on February 14, just in time to prepare for classes beginning on February 16.

Thank you for supporting us in the old year and in the new year. We look forward to sharing with you the result of our adventures, and our new discoveries. Thank you for keeping us in all your thoughts!

Love,
Jessie and Brad

“Not that I have already obtained this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which the Son took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which the Father has called me heavenward in His Son.” Phil. 3:12-14