Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Thoughts: January 11, 2009

"Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."

At the end of December Jessie and I were talking about Paul's letter to the Philippians and the importance of using our words for encouragement rather than complaining, arguing, and criticizing. I was convicted by the realization that I was spending too much time talking and thinking about me! So I decided that one of my New Year's resolutions would be to spend two days in silence and a third day speaking only if my words were encouraging to others.

So I spent the first three days of this past week trying to fulfill my resolution. Surprisingly, or maybe miraculously, I found that the two days of silence were fairly easy. It was refreshing! I was not able to answer the phone or the door, and it was quiet in the apartment. I realized just how wearying my own voice is! I loved being free of the obligation to speak, and I'm sure others (a.k.a. my wife) were equally happy with being free of the obligation to listen.

By Wednesday I was ready to talk! But the challenge to speak with only encouraging words was more difficult than I had expected. I had so much to say after two days of silence. It was difficult because every time I saw somebody and wanted to talk, I found my brain scrambling. I could think of a thousand topics to discuss, but I could not find the compliments. There was no lack of complimentary things to say; I was just unable to think of them fast enough. I could talk at length about sports, my recent readings, my unborn child, or my family, but when it came to encouraging others I was stuck. It was as if my brain was stuttering!

I was humbled to realize just how selfish my words are, and their ability to "corrupt the whole person." It is so easy to be self-focused in conversation! I missed the greatness in others because I was consumed with my own needs. I highly recommend taking a day and limiting yourself to compliments, and encouraging words.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of the Father"

Why we are grateful this week:

1)
Thursday was a great day; we went to Tianjin to visit Wil and Courtney Corder. We made it there in time for lunch, and then we spent the afternoon playing spoons in a coffee shop and watching "Enchanted." It was great to see them, and get a chance to hear what they have been learning during their first year of teaching.

2) On Friday night we organized a movie night for the English department. Jess was delighted to show them one of her favorite holiday movies, "White Christmas." About 30 students took a couple hours away from their final exam preparations to spend the evening enjoying the musical stylings of Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.

3) On Saturday we went to Beijing for our monthly baby checkup. We invited Danielle, a biology major who Jess befriended last year, and she was extremely excited to share the experience with us. She took photos and video of everything she possibly could. Afterwards, we took her to lunch and introduced her to pizza and flurries.

4) Our baby is healthy. So far there have been no problems, and we are very grateful. The sonogram showed us an active baby flipping and spinning in Jessie's womb. It's still just a little too early to know if it is a boy or a girl, but we should know next month.

Please continue to "think" about us:

1)
A week from now we will be traveling to southern China (Shenzhen, close to Hong Kong) for our IECS teaching conference. Please continue to think about our travel plans.

2) My parents have booked their flight to China! They will be here for the first two weeks of February, and we are currently trying to organize a travel plan for them.

3) Please remember Jessie, and our unborn child in your thoughts. She has been doing great! Other than a small head cold this week and some weariness, there has been nothing but good news concerning our pregnancy.

Following His Blessing,
Brad