Monday, September 10, 2007

Sept 7, 2007

Today, I played basketball with three of my students for an hour and a half. It’s amazing, I’m just as bad at basketball in China as I am in America. James Bond, Bill, Peter, and I were all on the same team and we played against a team of Japanese Majors.

It was a game of English majors vs. Japanese majors, so I felt like there was a bit of pressure to do well, but when it was all over and I asked what the score was, nobody knew. I was astonished, nobody was keeping score. I thought somebody was keeping score because they kept saying something in Chinese after each made basket but, it must have been “good shot,” “nice play,” or something like that. Whatever it was, it was in Chinese, and obviously, I didn’t understand. We were just playing for fun! This is a concept that is definitely foreign to me but, it’s a concept that would be good for me to learn. Normally, I’m too competitive.

Afterwards, we went to “Double Happiness” for dinner with Newt and Shannon. It was packed; I guess a Friday night in China is similar to a Friday night in the USA. It seemed like the streets busier and the restaurants where fuller, as if everybody was celebrating the end of the week.

Brad