Friday, February 15, 2008

February 5, 2008: My 27th Birthday

Dear friends,

I have celebrated twenty-two birthdays in Maryland and four birthdays in Michigan, but this year I had the privilege of celebrating my first birthday in a foreign country! This birthday was also unique in that I turned 27 years old in the USA and I turned 28 years old in China. :) Brad tells me that the 27th year is the "Breakout Year" for a major league baseball player, so it appears I am in for a great year! It was a terrific birthday, and one I will remember for a long time to come.

The morning began with breakfast in bed provided by my wonderful husband. Brad made me oatmeal and a fried egg on toast, complete with a lettuce garnish. All was served on the silver toaster oven tray, with lots of kisses on the side! After breakfast, my parents and little brother Josh called on the phone to wish me a happy birthday. Then Brad, Peter, and I went for a 3 mile run. I spent the rest of the afternoon writing in my journal, writing to my sister, reading, and memorizing the Book.

My three compatriots decided that for dinner, they would take me out to a nice restaurant by People’s Park. On the way over we noticed a lot of lights. February 7 (two days after my birthday) was the Chinese New Year, and much like the USA, most of the celebrations take place on New Year’s Eve (February 6). We had dinner in a little restaurant where we sat on swings to dine. We were served bright pink milk tea (resembling Pepto Bismal) that had a strawberry flavor. We ate one of my favorites for dinner, pork and pineapple. Mmmm… When we left the restaurant, we realized that the entire Park had been lit for the “Festival of Lights.” We walked through the Park, admiring the beautiful tributes to the “Year of the Rat” and the 2008 Olympics. It was quite magical.

When we returned from the Park, Shannon invited us up to her apartment for hazelnut coffee. After serving us, Peter brought in the birthday cake and everyone sang “Happy Birthday.” Each person gave me a thoughtful gift. Shannon gave me a pashmina scarf and a bath set. Peter gave me two favorite books. Brad gave me “The Notebook” DVD and an orange necklace. Then we got a good laugh out of trying to talk with our lips sealed, as if there was someone trapped in our mouths. You’ll have to watch the video on Facebook to see the results! As the evening came to a close, Brad and I packed our bags for our week-long vacation, and attempted to watch “The Notebook,” and then went to bed.

Thank you again to everyone who made my day so special! Your cards, gifts, e-mails, phone calls, and Facebook messages were a joy to receive. Thank you for thinking of me and making my birthday in China so wonderful!

Love,
Jessie