Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Great Wall

Last week a group of us visited the Great Wall, and it was amazing! We visited a section of the wall that is located just north of Beijing in Ba Da Ling. As I walked around, the history and the beauty of one of the Seven Wonders of the Medieval World amazed me. It was crazy to think that I was standing on something that was older than the country in which I was born.

In my curiosity, I looked at everything. At times, I ran around like a kid in a candy store, as I envisioned myself defending the wall against the “evil Mongolians hordes.” At other times, I found myself stunned by the effort it must have taken to create a wall that stretches as far as the distance from Los Angeles to Boston.

About half way through the day we had only explored about half of the three-mile section of wall that was open to visitors. I wanted to continue, but others wanted to get something warm to drink at the local Starbucks. So we agreed to meet later and a few of us continued on the northern section of the Wall. It took about 40 minutes to get past most of the visitors on our way to the peak. Once we got there, we noticed that there was about another mile of wall that was open to visitors. Almost everybody that was there was just going to the peak and turning around; the remaining mile was barren! I wanted to keep going, but the others were ready to turn around because of the time. So I promised that I would run the remaining portion of the wall if they would wait for me at the peak.

Although, it was extremely exhausting, it was the best decision I could have made. It was great; I was alone on one of the Wonders of the World! It was like I had my own personal visit with man’s greatness.

Then in a fit of exhaustion, it hit me! My legs were burning, I was gasping for air, and I was alone as I jumped up and down like Rocky on the steps in Philadelphia. I started to look around, realizing for the first time that I was in the middle of the mountains. The sun was low in the sky, and it was one of the most picturesque moments I can remember. I thought to myself, man’s greatness? How can man’s greatness even compare to the greatness I see around me? The best we can create is a wall, a barrier meant for separation, but the glory of Creation breaks that barrier. I was standing on top of one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the world, and it’s greatness paled in comparison to the greatness of Creation. As I ran for the final 20 minutes on the Wall, all I could do was worship in humble adoration!

Then I ran to Starbucks, and had a cup of hot chocolate.

Brad